Imam wanted for the Islamic Society of Vermont
Established in 1999, the Islamic Society of Vermont (ISVT) is located in the beautiful Lake Champlain region surrounded by the Green Mountains and only 90 miles from Montreal and 200 miles from Boston. It is a great place for families, with excellent education offered by the public school districts, as well as colleges; it is home to the University of Vermont, Saint Michael’s College, and Champlain College, as well as esteemed professional opportunities, which include the University of Vermont Medical Center and Global Foundries. ISVT is the largest Islamic organization in the state and is composed of a very diverse Muslim Community, with over 4000+ Muslims, including an array of refugees and different ethnic and cultural backgrounds; an average of 300 regular Jummah Salat attendees; 100 Weekend Islamic School students. Despite the cultural differences, our community members are always working together to create an excellent Islamic environment for our next generation. The Islamic Society of Vermont is actively seeking applicants for a full-time Imam position to serve as our spiritual and religious community leader. Qualified candidates for this highly visible leadership position must possess an immense desire and drive to deal with a multitude of skill sets and be open to the small but expressive community here in Vermont. More information about the ISVT can be found at http://www.isvt.org/.
● Bachelor’s degree in Islamic Studies from a reputable accredited Institution
● Associate’s degree in Islamic Studies from a reputable accredited Institution AND at least 3-5 years experience as an Imam.
● Hafiz Quran is strongly preferred
● Comprehensive knowledge of Islamic Fiqh, Shariah, Quran, Hadith, etc.
● Fluency in English and Arabic, with excellent written and oral communication skills
● Energetic and experienced role model to serve the youth of our community
● Strong Islamic character, with good organizational and leadership skills
● Experience in youth activities, conflict resolution, counseling, and leading educational programs is desirable
● Fundraising, particularly for nonprofit religious organization a plus
● Proficient in moderate level computer skills would be a plus
Duties and Responsibilities, to include but not limited to:
● Lead Salats; five times daily, Jummah, Taraweeh, Eid, Janazah, etc.
● Conduct Halaqas, religious and youth activities, revert and Ramadan programs, etc.
● Lead educational and outreach programs and participate in Interfaith dialogues
● Provide youth and family counseling, and guidance services as needed
● Provide matrimonial services - including nikah, divorce counseling and services
● Conduct funeral services as needed
● Manage certain operational and administrative responsibilities
● Teach and supervise the (Sunday) Weekend Islamic School
● Maintain regular office hours at the Masjid for Community members to consult and seek assistance and guidance
● Abide by the constitution and by-laws of ISVT and conduct himself in a way that fosters unity, peace, and a sense of inclusion and harmony amongst all ISVT members.
● Participate in ISVT’s Executive Committee meetings as needed
Generous financial package, including benefits, commensurate based on the selected candidate’s qualifications, experience, and personal attributes
Applicants should submit their resumes and contact information as well as names and contact information for at least three references, to the Imam Search Committee at Email: firstname.lastname@example.org